Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Chapter 1 (Part 3)

“Mister, I didn’t mean to upset you. But I think you’ve made a mistake. I’m not an imp.” The boy dropped the driftwood. Vlaad was on his feet now, swaying side to side.
“HA! That’s just what you wanted me to think isn’t it. I can see right through your disguise.” Vlaad’s vision had returned to full now and he could tell that it was a small boy he was shouting at. It also became apparent to him that he was standing on something that very much resembled a beach. “You can give your boss my compliments, he’s really gone that extra mile to disguise this place. Making it look like a beach! Genius! But I know his game, lull me in to a false sense of security, make little Vlaad think that Hell isn’t that bad… Then BANG!” Vlaad punched the air for emphasis. “Away with the cosy seaside resort, and hello Mr Fire and Mr Brimstone. Clever, but not clever enough to outsmart Vlaad ’Wings’ Kildare. And you, imp. Disguising yourself as a mere child. Absolutely brilliant. For there is no man alive who would strike down an innocent boy in anger.” Vlaad picked up the driftwood. The boy’s eyes widened in fear.
“Mister, I’m not an imp! I’m just a boy, I’m here on the beach with my parents.” The boy was starting to cry, and was regretting not listening to his parent’s earlier warnings.
“An alibi as well! You hellspawn really have gone above and beyond the call of duty this time.” Vlaad was walking slowly towards the boy, driftwood in hand. A small wet patch had formed around the boy’s feet.
“Mister, you’re not listening, I’m not an imp!” The boy was shaking in a puddle of his own fear. Partly through fear of the man nearing him waving a piece of driftwood threateningly, and partly through fear of what his parents would do to him when they found out he disobeyed them.
“Quiet imp! I tire with your pointless speech” Vlaad was getting dangerously close to the panic stricken child. When almost touching he stopped, and let out a laugh. “You know, after I crush you, I may even stop and work on my tan, no sense in letting your boss’ work go to waste. But do you think next time he could go for more of a winter motif? I’ve never been a beach fan myself.”
The boy looked confused, his puzzled look was ended abruptly as Vlaad raised the driftwood above his head.
“Goodbye hellspawn…” Vlaad was grinning again.
The boy raised his arms to shield his head. “Mister… You said that no man could ever hurt a mere child” He closed his eyes and awaited Vlaad’s wooden wrath.
Nothing happened. He counted to five, still nothing. Daring to find out what had made Vlaad stop he slowly opened one eye, then the other.
Vlaad had lowered his makeshift club to his side, and was gently tapping it against his leg. The boy moved his arms away from his head.
“Ten points for observation imp.” Vlaad was grinning “However, minus one million points for underestimating the fact that I, Vlaad ‘Wings’ Kildare am no normal man… And with that dear imp. I bid you farewell” Vlaad raised the driftwood above his head again. The boy screamed and ran.
“Stupid imp, get back here!” Vlaad gave chase, driftwood raised above his head, with a manic grin on his sand blasted face.
Mile after mile of sandy shore ensued as Vlaad hunted for his so called tormentor, countless rocks and pebbles disappeared over the horizon as he marched the beach, weapon in hand.
“Damn it… Where the hell has he got to” He went to throw his hat at the floor, before realising it was no longer planted on his head. “What the… Hat?” He patted his head, sort of hoping to find his headwear entangled amongst his hair. There was nothing there, just hair, and the occasional piece of seaweed.
“Imp, you’re lucky for now… But I’ll be back” He stood and pondered where his hat could be. It was a matter of necessity that he found it after all the trouble he’d gone through to steal it. And of course there was no denying the trans dimensional vortex which was contained within, enabling to Vlaad to conjure items from all corners of the universe, if it fell in to the wrong hands no one could stop them. Which is why it was of utmost importance that he found it. But how…

1 comment:

Alison the Amazing Thief said...

that poor child! this man needs to be locked up. D: Youre very good at this story telling stuff. :D